Tung Oil Plantation Bunkhouse; 17-15
Tung Oil Plantation BunkhouseAbout this object
Bunkhouse built by the men employed under the Government Relief Scheme associated with the tung oil plantation, located close to Braddock Road, Te Arai/Tomarata. Circa 1931/32
The Tung Oil Plantation was a Government Relief Work Scheme for unemployed men during the depression. 700 acres were ploughed by contract from the Wellsford-Mangawai Road to the vicinity of the old Te Arai Cemetery. 56,700 trees were planted which also includes replanting.
Tung nuts were imported from Japan and grown to produce tung oil which was to be used in the manufacture of paint, varnish and linoleum etc. The tung nuts were unsuitable for NZ soil. Flooding occurred along a dip on Braddock Road where the tung nuts were grown. The land was very boggy resulting in never-ending rescue missions with the bullocks being used to pull the tractor free.
The work at Tomarata/Te Arai began in 1929 and was closed down in 1936 by the Government.
Image C) The truck in the foreground is getting a new roof and tray put on it by one of the workers.