Mangawai Post Office: DECOMMISSIONED October 2016; 16-107
Mangawai Post Office: DECOMMISSIONED October 2016About this object
DECOMMISSIONED: 4th October 2016. OWNERSHIP AND POSSESSION HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED TO THE PIONEER VILLAGE TRUST, MANGAWHAI
Mangawai Post Office, Mangawai Village, photo taken August 1985.
Note that sign say's 'Shades of Manga Te Whai"
The Post Office service was opened in Mangawai, 4th June 1860, in Edward Insley's boarding house and store. Post Office's were attached to several stores over the decades. This building was built in 1928 after the previous Post Office was burnt down.
The first telephone was lodged at the Post Office in Mangawai in September 1882.
The Automatic Telephone Exchange was opened in February 1965 at the Post Office, Mangawhai Village.
Note: the spelling of Mangawhai changed in 1951 to include the 'h'.