Signal Lamp; 15-6
Signal LampAbout this object
Locally made at Mangaturoto, Northland by Mr James King at King's garage. This lamp was used by Hilton James Brown who was a signalman in the Mangawai Home Guard, Signals Corp. circa 1940 - 45. Dick Leslie was the Commander for the district.
It was hooked up to a car or truck battery by battery leads when in operation. It was used at night time (morse code).
Mr King used the large headlights of an old fashioned car. It is made of metal with tripod legs. There is a sighting tube on the side with a crosswire in it so that when a signal was sent, the receiving signal station would be able to return a signal if required. Inside the head is the car headlight cone at the back and a small light bulb on the side. It has a small spring lever on the outside of the head to allow for Morse code signals.
H 1.03 m W 26 cm (approx) Depth 33 cmObject Type