Oral History - HOGAN Beaumont; 21-17
Oral History - HOGAN BeaumontAbout this object
HOGAN Beaumont : Tape 1 Side 1
Date: 29 August 1980
00.10 Compiling book on history of MANGAWHAI. Starting 1350 with first habitation. One of the earliest MAORI associations with New Zealand.
01.05 Second TOKOMARU CANOE landed at PARKIRI BEACH. Left wives, children and some crew. They settled in different areas up the coast.
01.25 NGAROTO POINT at TE ARAI. NGAROTO was the navigator. Settled with approximately thirty people. remained in the area for there hundred years.
01.50 Invaders forced them out of TE ARAI to MOIRS POINT (TI WAI POINT)
02.25 HOGAN’S grandfather among first settlers in the district.
02.50 (Reads Book.)1839 WILLIM CARRUTH first white settler to explore the MANGA-TE-WAI river. Collected timber for SHIPYARD in PARUA BAY. (WHANGAREI)
03.30 Area under leadership of TAMATI TE ARAI
03.50 1839 GILBERT MAIR arrived
04.00 TREATY OF MANGAWAI the second treaty signed after the TREATY OF WAITANGI
04.45 1840 FELTON MATTHEWS arrived in cutter “RANGER “ searching for a place other than RUSSELL for a PARLIAMENT. Harbour too dangerous.
05.30 First settlers 1840 PENMAN, MCGHEE, SHARPE, MCGUINNESS, MOLESWORTH. Then ROWE, DAVERNE and MOLLOY (all from TASMANIA). All SHIPWRIGHTS. SHIPBUILDING established in Mangawhai.
06.20 First SCHOONER built, “JULIUS PRICE” 1846. DAN? MOLESWORTH designer. SHIPYARD closed 1870. Stone figurehead remains in front of JACKSON’s place.
07.05 Shipbuilding moved to PAKIRI, better timber by river.
07.25 1848 LAND GRANTS to BENJAMIN BULLER, JOHN BATES, SAMUEL MOLESWORTH. WILLIAM MARSH, MCGUINNESS.
08.00 1848 First Land Grant to JANE SKEEN Cook in shipyard and TEACHER in school in front of HOTEL , later moved to MANGAWAI TE WAI SCHOOL then 1852 moved to MANGAWHAI BEACH SCHOOL.
09.40 Association of JANE SKEEN with SAM MOLESWORTH. MOLESWORTH’S home site now marked by palm trees by MOTOR CAMP. History of PALM TREES from KAWAU
13.10 MCGUINNESS history. Sundays, read BIBLE in front of SHIPYARD. Remains of CHAIR. 14.20 FOX’S NOSE at MOIR POINT description. Remains of SLIPWAY.
15.30 MCGUINNESS one of the NOVA SCOTIA group.
17.00 1858 First Land purchases by JANE SKEEN, ELIZA YOUNG, JANE PRESCOTT, ANNE WEBSTER, JANET SMITH, ELIZABETH KING.
18.55 SHIPBUILDING and SHIPPING stories. Banana trade no refrigeration. Cutters “GREYHOUND” “JULIUS PRICE”
20.30 HARRY SHARPE shipbuilder moved to PAKIRI 1871. SAM MOLESWORTH was foreman 1862.
21.00 Land grants given to CHARLES GRIFFITHS, E A YOUNG, JOSEPH ELLIOT, WILLIAM GOODWIN, DAVID CLARKE, WILLIAM SHEPHERD, JOHN WALKER, HENRY FOSTER, JOHN SMITH, BERG EVANS, ELIZA KING.
21.40 1852 - 1910 KAURI TIMBER boom. River only means transport for timber. LOG RAFTS to Auckland. Tugboats “YOUNG BUNGAREE”, LYTTLETON”, “PELICAN”. GUM TRANSPORT.
22.50 1884 STEAMSHIPS “ PRIMROSE” and “RUBY”. Description of seamen, early voyages and goods transported. HARBOUR BAR dangers. “KAWAU”
24.00 Questions (inaudible) VINEYARD JOHN MARINOVICH. HENRY owned vineyard. ALBETZ wine licence.
26.00 Three HOTEL sites descriptions.
26.40. Answer to question. Old CHURCH was temporary SCHOOL. Cost One shilling a week.
Father born 1865 told no shilling no school.
28.00 Questions and discussion re HOTEL. (Inaudible). MRS SARAH ran HOTEL. Contractor for ROAD through WAIPU GORGE. (Stories from audience) : Description of MRS SARAH and husband in hotel. Methods of closing ejecting unwanted patrons.
33.40 Poems (Inaudible)
34.30 1872 Christmas four SCOWS loading KAURI LOGS at WHARF. HOTEL fire. Story of “VIXEN” and swinging log. HOTEL on fire 1872. SAWMILL at WHARF.
36.50 Poem read about MANGAWHAI RIVER.
38.30 1880 - 1895 WILLIAM SARAH had GUMSTORE, BUTCHER’S SHOP, BAKEHOUSE, GROCER’S StORE and BILLIARD ROOMS. WILLIAM SARAH was RACECOURSE CHAIRMAN. Description of RACE DAYS. Race from SAM WHITE house.
40.30 LOGS ? in LUCERNE GULLY
40.50 Weekends in Mangawhai. GUMDIGGERS.
42.00 1868 COAL HILL . Named by WILLIAM ANDERSON. COAL DEPOSIT SITES.
43.00 KAURI LOGS in LUCERNE GULLY.
HOGAN Beaumont : Tape 1 Side 2
00.10 Father came from TE ARAI. GOLD at EYRES POINT 1868.
00.40 Old SHAFTS still visible at EYRES and PROCTOR’S farms.
01.00 Questions inaudible.
01.30 GOLD in several deposits in Mangawhai