Molesworth School; 19-157
Molesworth SchoolAbout this object
A, B & C: Molesworth School 1944.
The original Molesworth School began in the home of Alfred John Wharfe, known as John, and Dora Wharfe nee Crutcher, on the Wharfe Farm, Mangawai in 1920. He then built a school with one room for his own and neighbouring children on the farm in 1922. The school closed in June 1930 and pupils moved to a new building on Bagnall Family property on King Road. The school was still called 'Molesworth School' and closed in 1944.
Miss Sybil Watson was the teacher in 1944. She remembers a time of dancing and social events due to the American soldiers camp that was stationed in North Auckland. The soldiers would deliver fire wood.
A: The tall boy standing in school veranda is Jack King