Lamps; Edward Miller and Co.; 1890-1910; 2014.90
LampsAbout this object
Pair of kerosene lamps; two ornately embossed metal fonts possibly nickel plated brass, two glass chimneys, two metal shades and two metal hanging frames. Used for lighting the church at Tawanui. The Miller Lamp was made in Conneticut by Edward Miller Co. Ltd. patent date 28 June 1892.
Designed to be suspended form the iron frame and hung from the ceiling using a fixed hook. The font can be removed downwards through the ring in the frame without taking the frame form the hook. This lamp was designed for use in stores, school buildings, or public halls where a large amount of light was needed. The burners have a raising device allowing for them to be lit without removing the chimney.
processed material, glass
processed material, metal, alloy, copper alloy, brass
processed material, metal
processed material, paint
embossed on top of mantle with a symbol of sun on left and moon on right:
embossed on top of base:
Made in USA
base: h 300 mm x di 230 mm
chimney: h 300mm di at base 100mm
frame: h 760mm w 405mm
shades: h 104mm di 390mm
From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey"Object Type