Typewriter; Blickensderfer Typewriter Co; 19th century; CT77.59a
TypewriterAbout this object
Typewriter; a Blickensderfer typewriter Secured to a leather-covered base which is made to accommodate a lid for the typewriter.
This typewriter was owned and used by Mr James Bryant, Headmaster of the first Owaka School from 1884-1909. Mr Bryant found on his arrival that the school had two large rooms, a playshed and a small, unlevel playground. In his first year the roll was 84, this built up to 124. For 25 years Bryant was also Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages - an unpaid job, though he was permitted to retain the fees for marriage certificates. He retired at the end of 1909, aged 60, to a farm where one of his sons had built a six-roomed house. No doubt he enjoyed his freedom, as he had previously complained that his spare time, boat and horse always seemed to be at the disposal of the public. [from A R Tyrell's Catlins Pioneering 2001].
19th centuryPlace Made
Stanford, ConnecticutMedium and Materials
processed material, leather
processed material, textile
processed material, metal
organic, vegetal, plant extract, latex, rubber
Impressed on maker's plate: "BLICKENSDERFER / NEW ZEALAND / TYPEWRITER CO / 7"Measurements
h 150mm x l 340mm x w 280mm (approximately)
From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey"Object Type