Photograph [Gwyn's Mill?]; [?]; c1906-1910; CT85.1724d

Name/Title

Photograph [Gwyn's Mill?]

About this object

Photograph; a black and white photograph of what is thought to be Gwyn's Mill at Tautuku, c1906-1910.

The original photograph has been digitised. A digital image and copy print are available for research access.

Place Made

Oceania, New Zealand, South Island, The Catlins, Tautuku

Maker

[?]

Maker Role

Photographer

Date Made

c1906-1910

Inscription and Marks

Handwritten on reverse: 'Thought to be Gwynne's Mill at Tautuku / 1906-1910 circa'

Format

Photograph

Object Type

photograph

Subject and Association Keywords

agriculture, forestry, exploitation and utilization

Credit Line

From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey"

Object number

CT85.1724d

Copyright Licence  

All rights reserved

Comments
Richard Osborne 23 May 2012 09:30 AM,UTC

Brian Gwyn is right.The photo is of the mill around 1906. The picture is of George Ishmael William CLARKE''s mill. He arrived at Tautaku on 5 November 1901, bringing his mill from Peel Forest, South Canterbury. He set it up by the mouth of the Fleming River. Clarke being in poor health got his half brother Donald FRASER to come down from Petone to run the mill. Frasers first job was building a ketch to take timber to Dunedin. It was called Tautuku! It was lauched in 1903 and was dismasted in a storm and towed to Lyttelton. The scow Advance was then obtained from Auckland and used for the next 3 years to ship timber to Dunedin. Fraser's term finished and the mill closed down for a little while. In 1906 Messrs Hogy and Co purchased the milling rights and the mill reopened with a new manager George Mackie. He built a tramline across the swamp to the mouth of the Fleming River and constructed a wharf. It was from here on 21 June 1906 the scow Maggie continued the timber trade to Dunedin. The mill was modernised and a steam hauler installed up in the bush. The mill operated for another 3 years when it was closed down again. In 1913 Mr Gwyn brought all Clarkes assets including the mill and all the timber rights. (Information from Donald Clarke 1896-1984 from family archives for "Ishmael and Betsy Clarke reunion October 1992 - 150 years in New Zealand).

Brian Gwyn 21 Oct 2010 04:04 AM,UTC

I would have thought that if it is indeed Wm. Gwyns mill at Tautuku then those dates would be 1913? to 1917.
In 1917 Wm. Gwyn moved from Tautuku to Whangarei where he lived the rest of his life.

Tags
Share