Catlins Local History; Duke of Edinburgh Students, Catlins Area School; [?]; 201...
Catlins Local HistoryAbout this object
Catlins Local History, pages taken from the Local History section of The Catlins Post.
1. Harry and Catherine Wilson, Percy Hill, Nell Lewis, Bill Lewis.
2/3. Owaka Postal History.
4/5. Catlins River Railway.
6/7. Tahakopa School, memories from Margaret Greer (nee Dunlop) and
Moira Keith (nee Ross).
8. Hina Hina School.
9. Burning Off, by Moira Keith. Extract from Owaka District High School jubilee booklet. Extract from letter by Mrs T M Wilson (nee Berney), 1961.
10/11. Dairying. Sign at Gibbs Hill, Tawanui. Tooth Ache.
12/13. Catlins sesqui celebrations, 1840-1990. Opossum Hotpot.
14/15. Purakauiti School, memories from Jean Hood (nee Junge). Burning Off.
16/17. Timber. Owaka Motors.
21. Poems - "The Year 1840", by Alice Kenny. "Then As Now", unknown.
25. "Washing Day Blues or Whites". Grade Certificate for factory cheese, 1918.
26/27. Purakauiti School, memories from Moira Keith (nee Ross). 21st Birthday Celebrations at Purakauiti, Moira Ross. Poem - "Balnacoil". Photograph - from side of Catlins Lake. Pioneer recipe - Sponge Cake.
28. The Old House. George Dabinett, Mr & Mrs Bert Ross.
29. Owaka's last maternity home. Photograph - Owaka Motors. Mr Spinks.
30. The Electric Light Came to Owaka, 1929. Photograph - Ahuriri Flat Creamery.
31. The Powder Mill. Tarara Cheese Factory, Ernie Smythe. What is a Senior Citizen? Early Days of Owaka and the Catlins, First Settlers in Owaka.
32. The Miracle of the Surat.
33. Sale of the Wreck - Surat. Fire at Owaka - Loss of Honey Extraction Plant.
Poem - "Farewell Maori Land". Tarara Sports Dances.
34. Dots Little Folk, Katea Picnic, 1907, Agnes Landreth, Tess Anderson,
Ivy Landreth, Liss Anderson, Agnes McLay, Mary Landreth.
35. Catlins River Wisp Run, 1857-1994, by Isobel Dreaver. The Voyage of the Deborah and the Purchase of the Otago Block.
36. The Manuka. Photograph - Little House, Mrs Mary Fraser, Mrs James Findlater, Mr Richard Berney, Mrs Daisy McBratney, Eunice Wright, Meek, Mrs G Hutchinson, George Craigie, Rachel Taylor.
37. Obituary - Edwin John (Jack) McLennan.
38. Riverside, Alfred Bradfield, by Hayley Brown. Mrs Mabel Chalmers. Fire at Owaka, E. Dale, Turnbull Bros, Mrs Borrowman.
39. Flats for Elderly open in Owaka. New Ambulance for Owaka.
40. Owaka Memories, Ray McNutt, Alice Ayson, David McNutt.
processed material, paper;
processed material, synthetic, plastic
A3Subject and Association Keywords
From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika, The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey".Object Type