Uniform, Girl Guides; Girl Guides Association; 20th century; CT89.1874c2
Uniform, Girl GuidesAbout this object
Girl Guides uniform; a blue dress of woollen fabric, with long sleeves and black Girl Guides buttons on the two front pockets, at the neck and cuffs. The dress is adorned with two sewn-on badges, one depicting a kingfisher and sewn onto the left epaulette, a white strip reading '1st Owaka Coy' with two blue and two grey ribbons beneath.
Girl Guiding was developed in 1908, when the daughter of New Zealander Lieutenant Colonel Cossgrove asked if she and her friends could join in Scouting with the boys. In September of that year the first girls were sworn in as Girl Peace Scouts.
In 1923 the organisation was officially registered as part of The Girl Guide Association which had been set up in England in 1909 and became known as The Girl Guides Association of New Zealand.
20th centuryPlace Made
processed material, textile, wool.Measurements
l 770mm (shoulder to hem) x w 430mm (at shoulders)
From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey".Object Type
The bird badge is for the 'Kotare' patrol (Kingfisher in England); the two blue and grey ribbons on the left shoulder are the Kotare patrol colours. The white strip '1st Owaka Coy' is the Guide Company to which this Guide belonged.
The badge with the kingfisher indicate the Patrol the Guide was a member of, and the "wings" badge indicates she "flew up" from Brownies, a section for younger girls to the older section.