Uniform, Girl Guides; [?]; 20th century; CT89.1874c1
Uniform, Girl GuidesAbout this object
Girl Guides uniform; a blue dress of woollen fabric, with long sleeves and black Girl Guides buttons on the two front pockets, at the neck and cuffs. The dress is adorned with two sewn-on badges, one depicting a fantail; a star shaped pin; two white stripes sewn onto the right pocket; and sewn onto the left epaulette, a white strip reading '1st Owaka Coy' with two yellow and two brown ribbons beneath. The dress appears to be handmade.
Girl Guiding was developed in 1908, when the daughter of New Zealander Lieutenant Colonel Cossgrove asked if she and her friends could join in Scouting with the boys. In September of that year the first girls were sworn in as Girl Peace Scouts.
In 1923 the organisation was officially registered as part of The Girl Guide Association which had been set up in England in 1909 and became known as The Girl Guides Association of New Zealand.
20th centuryPlace Made
processed material, textile, woolMeasurements
l 830mm (shoulder to hem) x w 445mm (at shoulders)
From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey".Object Type
The 'Brownie Wings' show that the Guide had 'flown up' from Brownies. The 'Fantail' badge and the two yellow and brown shoulder ribbons are for the patrol to which the Guide belonged. The two white stripes on the RH pocket show that this Guide was the Patrol Leader of Fantail Patrol. (The stripes should be on the LH pocket). The star pin shows the length of time within Girl Guides - if there is no number then it is one year served. The '1st Owaka Coy' indicates the name of the Guide company.