Uniform, Girl Guides; Girl Guides Association; 20th century; CT89.1874h

Name/Title

Uniform, Girl Guides

About this object

Girl Guide uniform; a girls dress of brown cotton, with long sleeves and two front pockets. Pockets, cuffs and neck have black buttons. A label sewn into the collar reads: 'Girl Guides Association, Official Uniform'.
Girl Guiding was developed in 1908, when the daughter of New Zealander Lieutenant Colonel Cossgrove asked if she and her friends could join in Scouting with the boys. In September of that year the first girls were sworn in as Girl Peace Scouts.
In 1923 the organisation was officially registered as part of The Girl Guide Association which had been set up in England in 1909 and became known as The Girl Guides Association of New Zealand.

Maker

Girl Guides Association

Maker Role

Distributor

Date Made

20th century

Place Made

[?]

Medium and Materials

processed material, textile, cotton.

Measurements

l 840mm x w 470mm (at shoulders)
Large

Credit Line

From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey".

Object Type

clothing

Object number

CT89.1874h

Copyright Licence  

All rights reserved

Share