Dedication plaque The Kauri Timber Company; C. A. Harrison; 1984; 1984_17_1-2
Dedication plaque The Kauri Timber CompanyAbout this object
Dedication Plaque, for display with Roll of Honour 1984_16_1-2. The museum has Mr C.A. Harrison of Morrinsville carve a panel on which to mount a shield inscribed with the following. 'The Kauri Timber Company was formed in Australia to log and process N.Z. resources of kauri. It was by far the largest operator in the industry and most of its production was exported to Australia. When WWI broke out in 1914 many of the staff volunteered for overseas service and some did not return. The plaque was specially commissioned to commemorate their service and sacrifice and was located in the Kauri Timber Companies N.Z. Head Office in Auckland. When the Kauri Timber company's N.Z. Assets were purchased by Fletcher Holdings Ltd on 1 July 1961, special efforts were made to preserve it until a suitable permanent home could be found. It was offered to the museum in 1983 and was formally handed over by Sir James Fletcher, chairman and then President of Fletcher Challenge Ltd. at an informal ceremony at Matakohe on 13 January 1984, in the presence of M. D. Sterling of Matakohe and K. G. Fraser of Auckland.' The carving depicts kauri leaves and cones in an all over design surrounding shield. Each side of panel have carved 'KTC' in a circle.Maker
53.3cm length x 96.5cm width x 2.8cm depthSubject and Association Description
dedication plaqueCredit Line
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.