First Signal Station, Port Nelson; John GULLY; 399
First Signal Station, Port NelsonAbout this object
Watercolour landscape of the Port Nelson signal station with flag posts and grazing cattle in foreground. View overlooks Tasman Bay with the Mount Arthur Range in background.Maker
Watercolour on paperPlace Made
Nelson's first signal station was built in 1841 on Britannia Heights and an interpretative history board continues to mark the spot today.
It was a very visible position and ships used the station to help navigate the difficult entrance to Nelson Harbour. A red flag signalled the position of the tide so that ships would know whether or not there was sufficient water to enter.
Presented by Miss Hilda Small in 1968Object Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.