Swyncombe Kaikoura; John GULLY; 1884; 340

Name/Title

Swyncombe Kaikoura

About this object

Unframed watercolour looking north towards the snow capped Kaikoura mountains from Swyncombe Station, west of Kaikoura township near the inland Kaikoura Road and Kowhai River. The flat, grass covered ground continues back to a body of water in the midground. The station's buildings are located amidst the stand of trees at the water's edge, centre left. There is smoke rising from two chimneys.

Maker

John GULLY

Date Made

1884

Medium and Materials

Watercolour on paper

Subject and Association Keywords

Landscapes/Regional landscapes

Subject and Association Keywords

Lake scenes

Subject and Association Keywords

Mountains

Subject and Association Keywords

Industry/Farming

Subject and Association Keywords

Flora

Subject and Association Keywords

New Zealand/South Island/Kaikoura

Subject and Association Description

Swyncombe was a large station south of Kaikoura. It was taken up about 1854 by Captain George Rock Keene and was originally 9,500 acres. In 1882 the Station was purchased by William Derisley Wood who divided it up in 1887 and again on his death in 1904, reducing Swyncombe to 2,700 acres.

Credit Line

Bequethed by Miss B.M. Kidson in 1961

Object Type

Painting

Object number

340

Rights

All rights reserved

This object is from
Tags

Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.

Share