Kaikoura; John GULLY; 1884; 33
KaikouraAbout this object
Classic studio watercolour landscape from the Kaikoura Peninsula looking north toward the seaward Kaikoura mountain range. The two highest peaks are Mount Manakau and Te Ao Whekere. There is grazing cattle in foreground with Kaikoura coastal settlement in midground.Maker
1884Medium and Materials
Watercolour on paperPlace Made
John Gully painted this for Bishop Suter. It was exhibited that same year in the Bishop's schoolhouse to raise Gully's local profile and a public subscription for a commissioned work for the City of Nelson (accession # 66: "Western Coast of Tasman Bay").
The painting was also exhibited in the New Zealand Industrial Exhibition 1885, Wellington, The Colonial and Indian Exhibition 1886, London (where Gully received a commemorative medal and certificate) and the Melbourne Centennial Exhibition 1888, Melbourne.
Mount Manakau and Te Ao Whekere can be seen in the distance across Kaikoura Bay in this view from the Peninsula.
The Bishop Suter Art Gallery Founding Donation, gifted by Mrs Amelia Suter in memory of her husband Bishop Andrew Burn Suter in 1895Object Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.