Bishopdale in 1874; John GULLY; 1874; 12
Bishopdale in 1874About this object
Bishop Andrew Suter's home, Bishopdale, sits on top of a hill (centre right) with the Bryant Ranges in the background. Bishopdale is surrounded by four other buildings. The two buildings in the valley indicate where Waimea Road is located today. The edge of the Grampians is visible in the mid-ground at left.Maker
1874Medium and Materials
Watercolour on paperSubject and Association Keywords
The Bishop's residence at Bishopdale was begun by Bishop Edmund Hobhouse and continued by Bishop Andrew Suter. In 1874 the building was operating as the Bishopdale Theological College.
It has been suggested that the original architect may have been Maxwell Bury who also designed the Otago University clocktower building.
The Bishop Suter Art Gallery Founding Donation, gifted by Mrs Amelia Suter in memory of her husband Bishop Andrew Burn Suter in 1895Object Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.