HomeObject Detail
History

Toaster; National Electrical and Engineering Company (Neeco); c.1930-1950; 2001/02...

Toaster; National Electrical and Engineering Company (Neeco); c.1930-1950; 2001/026.18
Toaster; National Electrical and Engineering Company (Neeco); c.1930-1950; 2001/026.18Toaster; National Electrical and Engineering Company (Neeco); c.1930-1950; 2001/026.18
Name/Title
Toaster
About this object
Two slices of bread could be toasted at the same time in this triangular prism-shaped, chrome electric toaster with drop-down sides that open to reveal the element and place for the bread. The sides are decorated with a chevron pattern and each have two small black plastic handles.

On the bottom there is also a metal plate marked with the model and manufacturer information, while each end is marked at the base with the manufacturer’s name, ‘Neeco.’ A long, cloth-covered electric cord is also attached to one end.

Date Made
c.1930-1950
Place Made
New Zealand
Medium and Materials
Metal/Plastic/Electronics/Cloth
Inscription and Marks
On ends of base: ‘Neeco’
On metal plate attached to bottom: ‘“Chevron Toaster” – Model ‘K’ – 230 Volts – 600 Watts – Made by the – National Electrical – and Engineering Company Limited’ next to Neeco logo

Measurements
Height: 18 cm
Length: 20 cm
Width: 14.5 cm

Subject and Association Keywords
Philp, Violet Maude, 1914-2005
Subject and Association Description
In 1906, the National Electrical Engineering Company (Neeco) opened in the South Island as a manufacturer of wiring for electric lighting, later expanding to produce a wide range of electrical products such as elevators and stoves.

Some of this diversification came about when in 1924 Neeco acquired Dominion Porcelain and Tile Industries Ltd. of Temuka, of which it was already a significant shareholder. The company was renamed New Zealand Insulators Ltd. (NZI). Neeco also acquired or built new branches elsewhere, including Wellington, where NZI management was based.

NZI manufactured ceramic tiles, pipes, insulators, and other electrical components. During the 1930s, factory manager Arthur Roden Toplis expanded NZI’s production into domestic ceramics with the foundation of the Temuka Pottery. Nevertheless, electrical components remained its primary output and it is possible some were incorporated into this toaster, which belonged to Mrs. Violet Maude Philp (1914-2005) of Timaru.

In 1966, Neeco was taken over by Cable Price Downer Ltd., which in turn was taken over by several companies in succession. NZI has existed under different ownership since 1996.

Object number
2001/026.18
+ Add Comment