HomeObject Detail
Photography and Multimedia

Opening of School Chapel Easter 1912; 1912; TBA

Opening of School Chapel Easter 1912; 1912; TBA
Opening of School Chapel Easter 1912
About this object
Opening ceremony of the WCS Chapel Easter 1912
Place Made
Date Made
Subject and Association Description
In 1908 the Old Boys advised the retiring headmaster Walter Empson that they wanted to make a presentation to him on his retirement. Empson wrote advising he did not want a personal gift but should the Old Boys wish to do something then it would give him great pleasure if they built a Chapel for the New School.

Such was the respect of ‘The Man’ as he was called by the boys, significant funds were raised in a very short time and at Easter 1911 the foundation stone was laid by The Right Reverend Frederic Wallis, Lord Bishop of Wellington.

Wanganui contractor Mr. N. Meuli undertook the construction.

In all the Chapel cost six thousand pounds, excluding furnishings and was dedicated at the Easter service in 1912, by the Bishop of Wellington Bishop Sprott exactly one year after the foundation stone had been laid.

Object Type
Object number

Results from DigitalNZ

Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved