HomeObject Detail
History

The Former Methodist Church ; NZHPT 4004

The Former Methodist Church ; NZHPT 4004
Name/Title
The Former Methodist Church
About this object
Constructed in 1865, it is very likely that this is the oldest purpose built religious centre in the Wairarapa. Settlers of all Christian denominations combined their resources to build what was then known as the Wesleyan Church at 63 Main Street, Greytown. The church was quickly constructed using timber from a local sawmill owned by the local preacher, Mr Hart Udy, Senior.
The needs of the parish outgrew the church, and a new church was built in front of this building, which was then used as a Sunday School until 1962, when a new hall was built. By the 1970s the old, unused church building had deteriorated rapidly. The New Zealand Historic Places Trust expressed concern over its potential loss and in 1979 the building was relocated to its present site at Cobblestones Museum and sensitively restored.

Place Made
Greytown, NZ
Place Notes
Greytown is New Zealand's first planned inland town, from 1854
Medium and Materials
Timber framed and clad single-roomed building with a steeply pitched roof. Well lit by large panelled windows.
Object Type
Building
Object number
NZHPT 4004
Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved
+ Add Comment