HomeObject Detail
Photography and Multimedia

Hally's Mill; 1097

Hally's Mill
Name/Title
Hally's Mill
About this object
When the Hally Brothers built their flour mill in 1871 on the southern bank of the Waikato River, 300 acres of wheat were growing in the Cambridge area. The four-storey building reached from the water's edge to the top of the bank. The millstones were made of burstone quarried and shaped in France. Hubs and shafts were then fitted in Britain and shipped to New Zealand.
In 1881 large cables across the Waikato River to the northern bank were used to carry the wheat and flour and bring supplies to the mill. The mill also had a rolling machine to crush maize, barley and oats and by 1882 it was producing a ton of flour a day.
Object Type
Photograph
Object number
1097

Results from DigitalNZ

The Old Mill Bridge, Aro Aro Creek, Raglan.
The Old Mill Bridge
Raglan and District Museum
Hal and Pat Horner moved from Tauranga with their ...
Hal Horner, 8 Fitzroy Street
Kawerau District Library
Photograph showing the Okete falls with Flax Mill ...
Okete Falls and Wallis Flax Mill
Raglan and District Museum
Military personnel files for CHAPMAN, Hal - WW1 5/...
CHAPMAN, Hal
Archives New Zealand Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
More...
Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved