HomeMuseum Detail

Hospital Museum of Southland

The museum is housed in a pre WWII building designed in 1934 by Invercargill's distinguished architect the late Edmund R Wilson, and the Prime Minister - the late Honourable Peter Fraser - opened the building in 1937. It has memorabilia of numerous archives and artefacts belonging to the legendary Dr Trotter of Riverton, Riverton and Lorne Hospital - both now demolished, Southland's Cottage Hospitals now closed, Dee Street Maternity Hospital now closed and Southland Hospital Kew. Two tiled floored rooms house urinary devices and aids to daily living, an iron lung, anaesthetic and cardiograph machines. There is also a room of nursing memorabilia with a wall full of photos spanning a hundred years of nursing executives. In this room Florence Nightingale is well represented by a plaster of Paris bust, photos and books.

Collection Type
Historic Site, History, Science


Contact Details
Postal address iconc/- Southland Hospital, PO Box 828, Invercargill


Visitor Information
Physical address iconOld Main Entrance, Southland Hosptial, Kew Rd, Invercargill, New Zealand
Hours of operation iconBy appointment
Charges iconDonation


Facilities
Guided Tour
Guided tours



-46.4376382168.355535616