HomeObject Detail
History

Avro Lancaster; 1964.116

Avro Lancaster, 1964.116
Name/Title
Avro Lancaster
About this object
This aircraft was built as a Lancaster 7. Built by Austin Motor Works in June 1945 as NX665, the aircraft did not see wartime service, but was later passed to the French (one of 54) to support the Western Union (the fledgling NATO). The aircraft operated from Morocco, Vietnam and New Caledonia. Based in Noumea from the late 1950s as WU-13, it carried out air-sea rescue, surveillance flights and other duties around the Pacific. Donated to the people of New Zealand, it flew into Auckland in April 1964. The aircraft has been restored by members of the Bomber Command Association (NZ). The intention has been to closely recreate the appearance of a Lancaster Mark 3 of Bomber Command of circa September 1944. (Including the addition of appropriate radar and a mid-upper turret).
Object Type
Aeroplane
Object number
1964.116
Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved