HomeObject Detail
Photography and Multimedia

Mangawai Beach School; 17-27

Mangawai Beach School; 17-27
Name/Title
Mangawai Beach School
About this object
Mangawai Beach School in 1905.
The Mangawai Beach School was built in 1885 on the site opposite Pearson Street, Mangawai Village. Families with pupils attending the school from 1885 were: Ashton, Bishop, Bowmar, Chipman, Dean, Doorly, Given, Gordon, Jaggar, James, Kidd, Miller, Moir, Mooney, Munro, Noble, Peek, Ryan, Satman, Sharpe, Smith, Stewart, Thomas, Wilson and Wood.
Teachers at the school up until 1900 were: Mr Gifney 1885, Miss Mabel Fortune 1896, Mr John Roberts and Miss Stanton 1903.
The school moved to a new building in Insley Street in 1957 and the original building was used by the Anglican Church until 2015 when it was moved (2016) to its present site in the Pioneer Village by Mangawhai Museum on
Molesworth Road, Mangawhai Heads.

Object number
17-27

Results from DigitalNZ

HAKARAU (MANGAWAI). (Observer, 11 April 1885)
National Library of New Zealand
Mangawai.
Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira
Mangawai
Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira
More...
Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved