HomeObject Detail
Photography and Multimedia

2nd St Michaels Church, Hakaru - interior. c. 1886; ; 17-25

2nd St Michaels Church, Hakaru - interior. c. 1886; 17-25
Name/Title
2nd St Michaels Church, Hakaru - interior. c. 1886

About this object
2nd St Michaels Church, Hakaru - interior. c. 1886

The 2nd St Michaels of the Angels Church, Hakaru, was built in 1886. Foundation stone for this church was laid Feb 26th 1886 & dedicated by Rev.Bishop Cowie of Auckland. After 20 years a bigger church was needed and on 23 February 1886, the foundation stone was laid for a new church. It was dedicated on 1 April 1887.
The original St Michaels of the Angels Church was shifted to Huketere on the Kaipara Harbour in 1939 and known as St Michaels on the Hill. Services are still held occasionally.
The Reverend John Tutin (d 1872) was the first pastor. The Parsonage, where the family lived, was built close by. The Tutin family was well respected in the district, and John's daughters, Sarah and Elizabeth, held Sunday School and later formed a private girls school. One of John's sons was a lay reader in the Sunday services.

Object number
17-25

Results from DigitalNZ

Hakaru (St. Michael's) Churchyard
Ministry for Culture and Heritage
St Michael's Church, interior
Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira
The Hakaru First World War and Second World War ro...
Hakaru rolls of honour
Ministry for Culture and Heritage
The Hakaru First World War and Second World War ro...
Hakaru rolls of honour
Ministry for Culture and Heritage
More...
Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved