HomeObject Detail
History

Bell; 17-151

Bell; 17-151
Name/Title
Bell
About this object
A brass bell with a wooden handle and metal clanger. It was used at Arai Point School which opened circa 1889 on Lawrence family land, in the vicinity of Slipper Lake, Te Arai. The school continued educating children until consolidation of local schools occurred just after WW2, when students began to travel by school bus to Mangawhai Beach School. After the school closed down, the building fell into disrepair with school memorabilia still inside. A former pupil rescued items, including the bell. In excellent condition.
Other schools of the area included, Te Arai North School 1875, Te Arai South School 1880-1933, and Forest Reserve School 1915
which is now Tomarata School.

Measurements
H 32 cm
Diameter 17.5 cm

Object number
17-151

Results from DigitalNZ

Bell; a silver counter bell from Mike Kirby's chem...
Bell, shop bell
Mataura Museum
Bell; used in the house originally occupied by Dr ...
Bell, servant's
Mataura Museum
Bell; a wooden-handled brass handbell. This bell w...
Bell, hand
Mataura Museum
Bells
Kete Rotorua
bells- worn by dancers on legs; threaded on leathe...
bell
Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira
More...
Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved