HomeObject Detail
History

Mangawai Post Office:DECOMMISSIONED Oct 2016; 203

Name/Title
Mangawai Post Office:DECOMMISSIONED Oct 2016
About this object
DECOMMISSIONED: 4th October 2016. OWNERSHIP AND POSSESSION HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED TO THE PIONEER VILLAGE TRUST, MANGAWHAI
Mangawai Post Office
This Post Office was built for £181 early in 1921 and sited on land near the present Police Station, and by August of that year there was already a quote at the Public Works Office for an extension. This was built as a temporary office and was finally replaced in 1951 by the building which is now the Police Station on Moir St. This building was then moved to Guntrens ( later Roberts) Farm, Old Waipu Road and then shifted by Ray Gardner from there in November 1972. It was placed alongside the Library Hall and served as the Mangawhai Museum. In 2017 it was moved to the Pioneer Village on Molesworth Drive, Mangawhai Heads among three other Historical buildings.

We have followed the policy of using the spellings used at the time.
The spelling of Mangawai was changed to Mangawhai in 1951, so the old building never saw the ‘H’.

Object number
203
Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved