HomeObject Detail
History

Accessories, typewriter; CT77.59b-p

Accessories, typewriter; CT77.59b-p
Name/Title
Accessories, typewriter
About this object
Typewriter accessories; a small collection of typewriter accessories used with a r typewriter manufactured by Blickensderfer Typewriter Co. The collection includes an oil can, spare typeface cylinder, three glass vials, a cleaning brush, tweezers, three key caps, a pencil and a cardboard box with removable lid.

The typewriter [CT77.59a] was owned and used by Mr James Bryant, Headmaster of the first Owaka School from 1884-1909. Mr Bryant found on his arrival that the school had two large rooms, a playshed and a small, unlevel playground. In his first year the roll was 84, this built up to 124. For 25 years Bryant was also Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages - an unpaid job, though he was permitted to retain the fees for marriage certificates. He retired at the end of 1909, aged 60, to a farm where one of his sons had built a six-roomed house. No doubt he enjoyed his freedom, as he had previously complained that his spare time, boat and horse always seemed to be at the disposal of the public. [from A R Tyrell's Catlins Pioneering 2001].

Medium and Materials
processed material, metal
processed material, glass
processed material, paper, cardboard

Measurements
Small
Credit Line
From the collection of Owaka Museum Wahi Kahuika The Meeting Place "a rest on your journey"
Object Type
equipment
Object number
CT77.59b-p

Results from DigitalNZ

Typewriter used by Oamaru’s most celebrated auth...
Typewriter
North Otago Museum
Typewriter - early model. Oliver brand. No.9 Made ...
Typewriter
Raglan and District Museum
Hall typewriter, no. 3321 New York, patented Marc...
typewriter
Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira
Mr Jackson wrote many articles for both the 'Liste...
J.B. Jackson's Typewriter
Raglan and District Museum
More...
Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved