HomeObject Detail
Art

Opening of the First School; Bauke, D.H; 1966; 1967.17.4

Opening of the First School, Bauke, D.H, 1966, 1967.17.4
Name/Title
Opening of the First School
About this object
Raglan’s first school began in 1866, in a tent. The first school building was in the Methodist chapel on the corner of James Street and Wallis Street (now the site of the Bowling Club). With the passing of the Education Act in 1877, the church school became a public school and moved in 1883 to the new Stewart Street building of one room with a porch. This is now the restored Old School Arts Centre.
Maker Role
Artist
Date Made
1966
Place Made
New Zealand
Collection
Bauke Family
Credit Line
Painted by D.H Bauke for the Raglan School Centenary 1866 - 1966
Object Type
Painting
Object number
1967.17.4

Tags

Centenary
Painting
Pioneers
Raglan
School


Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.

Results from DigitalNZ

Raglan’s first school began in 1866, in a tent. ...
Opening of the First School
Raglan and District Museum
Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved
+ Add Comment