HomeObject Detail
Photography and Multimedia

Photograph; Reverend Slade, William Raglan NZ; 1880's; X001.33.7

Photograph, Reverand Slade, William   Raglan  NZ, 1880's, X001.33.7
Name/Title
Photograph
About this object
Photograph taken at Matakotako Pa near Aotea.
Place Made
New Zealand
Maker Role
Photographer
Date Made
1880's
Medium and Materials
Black and White Photograph
Subject and Association Description
People Left to Right:
Te H(M?)ere Tauira (in the back corner holding a very young baby - Lucy (Ruihi) Ellis; Te Aua Tauwhenua, a Ngati Te Wehi Chief; Te Paahi Motutara; Te Whareroa, chief of the Ngati Te Wehi and Te Reme Tauira (Kauki Tauira), who married John William Ellis (seated), a trader at Motakotako (J W Ellis later established the well known Hamilton timber merchant Ellis and Burnand which later became a branch of Fletcher Building's Placemakers).

The infant Lucy (Ruihi) Ellis was born in 1879 and on the basis of her size (still in swaddling clothes) this dates the photograph at 1880.


Collection
Raglan Museum Collection
Object Type
Photograph
Object number
X001.33.7

Tags

Aotea
Matakotako
Newton
Pa
Reverand Slade
Te papa o rotu
Te Tihi o Moerangi


Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.

Results from DigitalNZ

Photograph taken at Matakotako Pa near Aotea.
Photograph
Raglan and District Museum
This photograph-postcard shows the old Raglan Post...
Raglan Post Office
Raglan and District Museum
Postcard showing Bow St on Regatta Day 1911, and b...
Bow St, Raglan
Raglan and District Museum
Aerial photograph taken by Whites Aviation. 
Quant...
Raglan
Alexander Turnbull Library
Aerial view of Raglan, photographed by Whites Avia...
Raglan
Alexander Turnbull Library
More...
Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved
+ Add Comment
H Thomson21 Mar 2014 10:13 AM,UTC
Te Pahi Motutara is the woman seated to the left of trader John Ellis. Kauki Tauira is the woman standing to the right of Te Whareroa Poria the Ngati Whakamarurangi chief who led the Manuaitu/Aotea land claim for his people in 1887.
Raglan Museum24 Nov 2009 01:36 AM,UTC
Thanks so much for your information. It is appreciated and we will update our records accordingly.
H Thomson22 Oct 2009 05:44 AM,UTC
The meeting house Te Tokanganui-a-noho built at Mōtakotako 1873 for Ngati Hikairo and their hosts Ngati Whakamarurangi and Tainui. It was eventually dismantled and taken by Ngati Hikairo to Kawhia and re-erected on their land. Not long after it was consumed by fire and the name was taken to Te Kuiti by Taonui Hikaka of Ngati Maniapoto.