HomeObject Detail
Art

Bishopdale in 1874; John GULLY; 1874; 12

Bishopdale in 1874; John GULLY; 1874; 12
Name/Title
Bishopdale in 1874
About this object
Bishop Andrew Suter's home, Bishopdale, sits on top of a hill (centre right) with the Bryant Ranges in the background. Bishopdale is surrounded by four other buildings. The two buildings in the valley indicate where Waimea Road is located today. The edge of the Grampians is visible in the mid-ground at left.
Date Made
1874
Medium and Materials
Watercolour on paper
Subject and Association Keywords
Landscapes/Regional landscapes/Nelson landscapes
Trees
Religion
Mountains/Mountain ranges
Colonial
Architecture
New Zealand/South Island/Nelson/Bishopdale
New Zealand/South Island/Nelson/Bryant Range
New Zealand/South Island/Nelson/Grampians
Subject and Association Description
The Bishop's residence at Bishopdale was begun by Bishop Edmund Hobhouse and continued by Bishop Andrew Suter. In 1874 the building was operating as the Bishopdale Theological College.

It has been suggested that the original architect may have been Maxwell Bury who also designed the Otago University clocktower building.

Credit Line
The Bishop Suter Art Gallery Founding Donation, gifted by Mrs Amelia Suter in memory of her husband Bishop Andrew Burn Suter in 1895
Object Type
Painting
Object number
12

Tags

Architecture
Colonial
Landscapes/Regional landscapes/Nelson landscapes
Mountains/Mountain ranges
Religion
Trees


Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.

Results from DigitalNZ

John Gully
The Prow: ngā kōrero o te tau ihu
GULLY, John
Ministry for Culture and Heritage
Many areas of early New Zealand life after Europea...
Gabriels Gully
Ministry for Culture and Heritage
Gabriels Gully
Ministry for Culture and Heritage
Full length studio portrait of a seated woman iden...
Gully, Jane
Nelson Provincial Museum
More...
Copyright Licence Help
All rights reserved
+ Add Comment